Do you want to write a cover letter for a legal assistant position? Check out our Youtube tutorial and cover letter example for legal assistants.
- Matching resume and cover letter templates (50% discount)
- Contact an expert to help you write a resume and/or cover letter
- Visit our Facebook page to review our cover letters
Cover Letter Example
[Number Street Name]
[City, ZIP Code]
[Date, Year] (June 3, 2020)
[Number Street Name]
[City, ZIP Code]
Dear Mr. Murray,
I am keenly interested in working as a legal assistant at [Legal Firm X] in [City, State]. My experience with case management software, case preparation and trial proceedings are well-matched with the requirements listed in the job advertisement on [website.com]. In this cover letter, I will elaborate on my motivation and qualifications required for this vacancy.
To shortly introduce myself, my name is [Name], and I have 5+ years of experience working as a legal assistant at [Law Firm Y]. In 2015, I was first hired as an administrative assistant and responsible for most of the clerical duties in the office. Within six months the partners helped me transition over to a legal secretary position, reason being, my interest and passion for legal support. To work for one of the leading firms in legal services, is what motivated me to apply for this vacancy. Therefore, I want you to consider this application for the legal assistant position.
Over the past five years I have been responsible for handling interactions with court officials, judges and district attorneys. These experiences taught me the importance of establishing collaborative relationships and open line communication. Daily interaction with different legal entities greatly benefited my interpersonal and communication skills. Terms like: “subpoena”, “voir dire”, “pro se” and nuances in legal procedures are nothing new to me. Furthermore, I know how to create and format pleadings and court documents using office software.
I am thrilled by the opportunity to showcase my legal expertise and support your industry-leading team. After [Date], I will be available for a 32 hour work-week, so that I can help decrease the workload in your department. For your convenience, I have attached my application materials. Please let me know if you need any additional information. You can reach me at [Phone number], or [Email address]. Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.
How To Write a Cover Letter For a Legal Assistant Job?
Writing Tips For Legal Assistants
- Keep your cover letter short, concise and to the point. Maintain a word count of around 300 words and use a professional font and font size. ‘Calibri’, ‘Arial’ or ‘Times New Roman’ with a font size between 10 and 12 will do.
- Know to whom you address your letter to and include a name. Do some research on LinkedIn, check the ‘about us’ or staff pages or even consider calling the company for more information. It certainly shows your interest and determination to get the job role.
- Thoroughly read the job requirements and find out which soft- and hard skills you got that relate to the competencies. Soft skills include for example: communication, writing or organizational skills. Hard skills usually relate to technical know-how, like mastering office software.
- Do not list your skills and personal traits like you do in your resume, but showcase just several life occasions that prove your qualifications. Make sure to provide some context like: what problems you solved, or what results you have achieved.
- Write a unique cover letter for every job application. Once you are finished, you need to proofread your cover letter and correct spelling and grammar errors. In addition, double check the sender and receiver information before submission.