Do you want to write a cover letter for a data analyst position? Check out our Youtube tutorial and cover letter example if you seek a job as a data analyst professional such as, “healthcare data analyst”, “Business analyst”, “Intelligent analyst” and similarly named roles.
- Matching resume and cover letter templates (50% discount)
- Contact an expert to help you write a resume and/or cover letter
- Visit our Facebook page to review our cover letters
Cover Letter Example
[Number, Street Name]
[Boston, MA 93820]
[October 8, 2020]
[Number, Street Name]
[Boston, MA 12029]
Dear Ms. Watson,
As someone who recognizes [Company X] as the premier data analytics agency in Boston, I was pleased to find the open Data Analyst position on [URL] under section [‘Careers at’]. With a master’s degree in Computer Science and two years of working experience as a data analyst, I am ready to produce and maintain both internal and client-facing reports. In this cover letter, I will highlight my motivation and ability to add value to your team of analysts.
To shortly introduce myself, my name is [Riley Hamilton] and I have five years of working experience at [Big Data Company Y]. I regularly read through [Company X’s] blog posts on big data trends and the insights delivered by [Carl Muller]. I have a specific interest in data wrangling, but these articles also reveal [Company X’s] friendly, engaging tone and company culture. I am thrilled about the prospect to work in an environment that is both personally and professionally fulfilling. In addition, the training and professional development opportunities listed in the vacancy happen to be exactly what I search for in my career path. I intend to take advantage of all of these to further expand my breadth of knowledge on [subject].
I graduated magna cum laude (3.8 GPA) with relevant coursework in mathematics from the University of Massachusetts. At university, I developed analytical skills and learnt how to deal with complex problems in a systematic way. During my employment at [Big Data Company Y], I managed user accounts in ManageEngine AD360 and used SQL and Python-Statistical Programming to track and analyze data. I built complex SQL reports to audit $3.1 millions of pay and benefits for over 250 individual records. I had to work closely with data architects and database developers to achieve this result, and I even received recognition for my contribution (see references).
I am excited about the opportunity to learn more about [subject] and discuss my potential contribution to [Company X’s] objectives. Attached is my resume for your review and consideration. You can reach me at [Phone number] for any additional information. Thank you for taking the time to review my application.
Writing Tips For Data Analysts
- Use a standard font and font size to enhance the readability of your cover letter. Basic fonts like: ‘Calibri’, ‘Arial’ or ‘Times New Roman’ with a 10- or 12-point size font are most suitable. Keep a word count of around 300 to 400 words on a one page document and divide your cover letter in 4 paragraphs.
- Distinguish two styles: American and British English cover letters. The letter that we are going to write will be an American English example, but I will also showcase the differences between these two styles during the video.
- Choose the right greeting for your cover letter, ‘Dear Ms. Watson,’ or ‘Dear Mr. Watson,’. Don’t use ‘Mrs.’ as the abbreviation, unless you know that the contact person is a married woman. If you are unsure about the recipient’s gender, then you need to write the full name as in: ‘Dear Alex Watson,’. If you write to an unknown recipient, then I’d advise you to write ‘Dear Hiring Manager,’.
- Don’t list your skills and personal traits like you do in your resume, but instead provide context. For example, employers need data analysts with SQL skills. If you claim to obtain this skill, then you need to substantiate this statement with real life achievements, preferably in measurable results.
- Choose the right closing salutation for your cover letter. That means you need to thank the reader for their time and consideration and write synonyms as in, “Kind regards”, “Best regards,” or “Sincerely,”. “Yours sincerely” is British, and Americans tend to reverse the order and write “Sincerely yours,”. Nowadays, Sincerely is a common and an acceptable close for American cover letters. You can also write “Yours faithfully”, which can be used when the recipient is not addressed by name, like in, “Dear Hiring Manager”. It is a British usage. “Yours truly,” is the American equivalent.