Do you want to write a cover letter for a job as architect? Check out our Youtube tutorial and cover letter example for architecture jobs.
- Matching resume and cover letter templates (50% discount)
- Contact an expert to help you write a resume and/or cover letter
- Visit our Facebook page to review our cover letters
Cover Letter Example
[Number Street Name]
[City, ZIP Code]
[Date, Year] (June 13, 2020)
[Number Street Name]
[City, ZIP Code]
Dear Mr. Atkinson,
I am very pleased to be applying for a position as [Job Position] at [Firm X]. I graduated from [The Bartlett School of Architecture] in [London], and recently earned an architecture degree from the California Supplemental Examination [License Number]. My educational background and experience are well-matched with the job advertisement on [website.com] under section [Careers at].
To shortly introduce myself, my name is [Name Surname], and I currently produce design and construction document drawings for [ZGF Architects]. I noticed that [Firm X] has been engaged in large-scale architectural projects with a focus on sustainable design to tackle global warming and resource scarcity. I admire [Firm X’s] mission to minimize the negative environmental impact of buildings by efficiency and moderation in use of energy, materials and development space. I am convinced that my technical expertise and ambition can contribute to current and future projects.
With more than 5 years of experience in sustainable architectural design and drawings, in particular elevations, I can contribute to high-rise projects. Between 2015 and 2020, I was involved in the technical design of [Project X] and [Project Y], but also assisted senior architects during on-site quality control checks and on-site inspections. In my portfolio, you can see the construction detail and plan arrangement. Noticeable is my experience with [computer-aided design software (CAD)], but I also possess soft skills such as: vender, task and time management.
Attached is my resume and portfolio for your review and consideration. I firmly believe that my experience in sustainable design and proficiency with the major ArchiCAD and AutoCAD software systems can contribute to current and future projects. If you need any additional information, don’t hesitate to contact me at [Phone number] or [Email address]. Thank you for your review of my application.
How To Write a Cover Letter For Architecture Jobs?
Writing Tips For Architects
- When it comes to font style and font size, use: ‘Calibri’, ‘Arial’ or ‘Times New Roman’ with a 10 to 12 point size for easy reading. Avoid using unprofessional novelty-style fonts like Comic-Sans, script-style or handwriting fonts. In addition, keep your short, concise and to the point. So, make a one pager of around 300 to 400 words and 4 paragraphs.
- Thoroughly read the job description and seek for keywords that are used multiple times. These usually have a high priority to the recruiter. Express your excitement for the job opportunity and elaborate why your qualifications closely match the job requirements.
- Understand the most important qualifications for architects. These include, among others: design skills, knowledge of building and construction, communication skills, but also your ability to use various architecture softwares. Inform the reader about your skills and experience and provide examples. Key here is to not only list them like in your resume, but actually provide context in numbers, percentages or awards you’ve been granted.
- Find out to whom you need to address your cover letter too. If you don’t have a name, do some research on LinkedIn or check the firm’s ‘about us’ or staff pages. In addition, try to find similar interests between you and the recruiter. If you highlight similarities your chances of getting the architect position increases. This theory is also scientifically proven.